I actually wasn't going to blog this time, until it was suggested to me. But it's a brilliant idea, so here goes!! Warning: my writing will probably be all over the place. I should also apologize for all my run-ons. There will be a lot of them; I do tend to ramble on...
My father has been telling me that he wanted to take me to China, his birthplace, for years and years now. So here I am, on a place some five thousand miles away from Manhattan, returning to "home country," as my cousin would say. It's rather uncharitable for me to say that I haven't seriously believed he would take me, but that doesn't make it any less true.
I think he's imagining that I'll be incredibly bored during some parts of the trip, and I suspect he's correct. There is no universe in which I would enjoy touring six temples in a single day (something my sister complained about in one of her postcards, if I recall correctly). Additionally, I have to confess that I'm not particularly interested in the history of this great nation. I kind of tune out when he talks about it.
He's spent quite a bit of time warning me about how I'll have to beware of pickpockets, that they're worse in Shanghai than anywhere else in the world. I've also been appropriately forewarned about the conditions of certain restrooms in the country ("sometimes it's just a hole in the ground and you have to squat"). If they're to be believed, I would probably prefer urinating in the woods, wiping myself with leaves.
Although I did have some reservations about spending such a vast amount of time with my father, especially considering the stressful nature of traveling and my extraordinarily short temper, I'm sure this will be an incredible experience. One that I will talk about for years to come! For instance, words cannot express how much I am looking forward to riding a camel. I have been informed that you can, in fact, ride camels in the Bronx Zoo, but it's simply not the same. Or maybe it is, how would I know until I actually do it?
Fifteen hours flights are no picnic. First of all, this one flight attendant can't seem to stop telling me how sweet and soft my voice is. It's kind of really off-putting. But more importantly, in preparation for my flight, I attempted to pull an all-nighter, despite the fact that I was definitely packed before 11pm. I still can't quite tell if that was a good idea, but in defense of my decision, I did manage to nap several times, in between The Wolf of Wall Street and 10 Things I Hate About You. (I cannot get over how thin Julia Stiles was.) I also managed to watch Frozen for the tenth time, though I fast forwarded through all but two of the songs.
I promise my future posts will be less complainy.
P.S. Pretend I had a working adapter and posted this on Wednesday, the 17th.
My father has been telling me that he wanted to take me to China, his birthplace, for years and years now. So here I am, on a place some five thousand miles away from Manhattan, returning to "home country," as my cousin would say. It's rather uncharitable for me to say that I haven't seriously believed he would take me, but that doesn't make it any less true.
I think he's imagining that I'll be incredibly bored during some parts of the trip, and I suspect he's correct. There is no universe in which I would enjoy touring six temples in a single day (something my sister complained about in one of her postcards, if I recall correctly). Additionally, I have to confess that I'm not particularly interested in the history of this great nation. I kind of tune out when he talks about it.
He's spent quite a bit of time warning me about how I'll have to beware of pickpockets, that they're worse in Shanghai than anywhere else in the world. I've also been appropriately forewarned about the conditions of certain restrooms in the country ("sometimes it's just a hole in the ground and you have to squat"). If they're to be believed, I would probably prefer urinating in the woods, wiping myself with leaves.
Although I did have some reservations about spending such a vast amount of time with my father, especially considering the stressful nature of traveling and my extraordinarily short temper, I'm sure this will be an incredible experience. One that I will talk about for years to come! For instance, words cannot express how much I am looking forward to riding a camel. I have been informed that you can, in fact, ride camels in the Bronx Zoo, but it's simply not the same. Or maybe it is, how would I know until I actually do it?
Fifteen hours flights are no picnic. First of all, this one flight attendant can't seem to stop telling me how sweet and soft my voice is. It's kind of really off-putting. But more importantly, in preparation for my flight, I attempted to pull an all-nighter, despite the fact that I was definitely packed before 11pm. I still can't quite tell if that was a good idea, but in defense of my decision, I did manage to nap several times, in between The Wolf of Wall Street and 10 Things I Hate About You. (I cannot get over how thin Julia Stiles was.) I also managed to watch Frozen for the tenth time, though I fast forwarded through all but two of the songs.
I promise my future posts will be less complainy.
P.S. Pretend I had a working adapter and posted this on Wednesday, the 17th.
No comments:
Post a Comment