Thursday, September 18, 2014

Initial Impressions

This will be a short one!

  • People seem to be really into their smoking around here. As soon as we got outside to the bus stop at the airport, several people lit up, as if it would kill them to wait a bit longer.
  • Okay, to be fair, I guess if you’ve been on a plane for fifteen hours, you might be going through withdrawal or something.
  • In the cab on the way to the center of the city, we passed several buildings that were Barbie Dream House pink.
  • There are an extraordinary number of people riding about on scooters; it’s kind of adorable, but simultaneously (speaking as a pedestrian) massively annoying.
  • Apparently, attaining a wireless card for a macbook is incredibly inconvenient. Additionally, you are required to provide identification in order to purchase one of these babies. 
  • The man who sold me my wifi card had abnormally long pinky nails. Abnormal to me, at least. I was informed that this was actually something of a tradition among Chinese men. In fact, on the following day, I noticed a man on the subway with similar fingernails. It was kind of amazing.
  • There are so many KFCs in this city; I've seen at least five so far. It reminds me of when I went to Copenhagen and came across two 7/11s, technically on the same block. Chinese people must really love their fried chicken. I know I do.

P.S. We're still pretending I posted this on the 17th, okay? Okay!

No comments:

Post a Comment